Who doesn’t love a delicious grilled cheese sandwich? They are the life savior when you are in a rush, or just needing some comfort food. Grilled cheese is one of the easiest and cheapest sandwiches you can make at home and the best part is that you have the ingredients on hand. It’s also easy to transform the bread-and-cheese confection from simple to gourmet. If you are a fan of quick and healthy cooking, check out these healthy snack recipes on the go.
3 Gourmet Grilled Cheese Recipes That Are Totally Easy to Make
1. Grilled Tomato and Brie Sandwiches
These sandwiches make the most of juicy, flavorful summer tomatoes. Serve them with grapes or carrot sticks.
- 8 (1-ounce) slices 100 percent whole-grain bread (about 1/4-inch thick)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 2 teaspoons country-style Dijon mustard
- 4 ounces Brie cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cups packaged baby arugula and spinach greens
- (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato
How to make Grilled Tomato and Brie Sandwiches:
- Heat grill, grill pan, griddle or skillet over high heat. Brush one side of each bread slice with oil; rub with cut sides of garlic. Spread 1/2 teaspoon mustard on each of 4 bread slices, oil side down. Top with 1 ounce cheese, 1/3 cup greens and 2 tomato slices. Top with remaining bread, oil side up.
- Coat pan or grill with cooking spray. Cook sandwiches about 2 minutes per side until lightly toasted and cheese is melted.
2. Blueberry & Apple Grilled Cheese
A few special ingredients—like freshly baked sourdough bread or imported havarti cheese—make a quick, simple sandwich seem like a restaurant treat for a midday meal.
Ingredients (makes 1 serve):
- 40g fresh blueberries
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tsp honey
- 40g Havarti cheese, thinly sliced
- ¼ medium apple, thinly sliced
- 15g walnuts, chopped
How to make Blueberry & Apple Grilled Cheese:
- Preheat a sandwich press and place the blueberries in a bowl and lightly crush with the back of a spoon. Place the slices of sourdough on a clean chopping board and drizzle over the honey. On one slice of sourdough, layer the blueberries, half the cheese, apple, walnuts and remaining cheese. Top with the other slice of sourdough.
- Place the sandwich on the sandwich press and gently press down the lid. Toast for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the sandwich is golden. To serve, cut the Blueberry and Apple Grilled Cheese in half and place on a serving plate. Enjoy!
3. Avocado Tomato Grilled Cheese
Creamy avocado and juicy tomato add an extra punch of richness to regular grilled cheese and pump up the nutritional value with heart-healthy benefits in every crispy, gooey bite of this Avocado Tomato Grilled Cheese.
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, seeded and peeled
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely minced parsley
- 8 slices bread (I use whole grain)
- 6 ounces Monterey jack cheese, sliced
- 1 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
How to make Avocado Tomato Grilled Cheese:
- In a small bowl, mash together avocado, lemon juice, cumin and salt until smooth. Stir in parsley and set aside. Top four of the bread slices with cheese; spread with avocado mixture and top with tomato slices. Add the four remaining bread slices on top. Using 1 tablespoon of the softened butter spread some on the top of each sandwich.
- Heat a large nonstick griddle or 12-inch skillet, over medium-high heat. Add sandwiches, buttered sides down. Carefully spread the remaining softened butter over the top of each sandwich.
What are some of your favorite toastie combos? Share in the comments below!